Saturday, April 5, 2014

this was supposed to be an awesome post...

I had a really awesome blog post to publish today. You know when an idea just comes to you and you grab the nearest sheet of paper - or in my case, open your Evernote app - and start writing and writing before the idea evaporates into thin air?

Well, that happened to me. But you'll have to wait until Monday to read it. Because instead of writing it out tonight, I'll be cleaning up the mess I made.

And by that, I mean I'll be cleaning up the fire I started in my kitchen at 6:15 a.m. this morning. Thankfully, a dear friend gifted us a fire extinguisher as a wedding gift. He probably had this exact circumstance in mind - me burning down the house in attempts to cook a decent breakfast. 

I'd love to stay and chat about goof-ups in the kitchen, but you'll just have to leave a comment for me to read later. Because, as you can see, I have a monumental mess to clean up.

Please notice the ready-to-be-made smoothie in the blender that had to be trashed. Sad day.
Cheer me up - what was your biggest kitchen goof-up?


18 comments:

  1. Yikes! Not a good way to start your Saturday! Hope it's not too much of a hassle to clean up! I accidentally put a rubber spatula too close to the stove burner once…that was fun to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once accidentally left the oven mitt sitting on a burner I'd left on and started the mitt on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no!!! hope the clean up wasn't that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you want a story? one time in college we used dish soap (like sink soap) in the dishwasher and bubbles OVERTOOK and flooded the kitchen. it was seeping out all the sides at rates we could not handle. it was messy. and hilarious. and bad! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you put the fire out, I feel like I can laugh at you now... haahah! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. What??? Oh no!! I have never started a fire in the ktichen. Burned myself a couple times (I have scars from years ago)...accidentally spilled a pot of pasta and boiling water all over the floor...but no fires, thankfully! Good thing you had a fire extinguisher handy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It only took about... 4 hours...to clean up. But, I'm glad that's over with! Ah... melted rubber would be miserable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I hope you were around when that happened!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It only took about 4 hours... But it's done! And that's all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha I can totally see all you girls trying to clean that up. At least your floors were really clean after that, right??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely - I don't know if I will ever use my broiler again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you can keep it that way! Though spilling a pot of boiling water would not be fun either - I hope that's not where you got your scar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No--the scar on my hand is from accidentally bumping the back of my hand into the electric element inside our oven while removing a pizza with just hot pads instead of oven mitts--learned my lesson there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. always a bright side!!


    www.oakandoats.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. No worries. I once waited for a pot of oil to "boil". I had no idea it never would. It did catch fire and I ran around the house screaming with it. My brother came in, not knowing it was oil, and doused it in water. Well, that blew up. All the fireman came to our house and thankfully no one was burned and minimal damage occurred :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I'm so glad there wasn't too much damage (that I can see) and that you are safe! I've had a few kitchen blunders. The most recent was putting one of our nice knives down the garbage disposal. It was the worst sound ever!

    ReplyDelete